Sunday, October 22, 2006

About making paintings...
I was reading an old article in a magazine that was reviewing the newest biography of Willem de Kooning and came across the following quote from de Kooning; " Wouldn't you think it would get a little easier after all these years? But, you know, finishing one painting never solves the problem of the next one. You alwys have to start over the next day. Every morning when I come into the studio to work, I feel like I could have the potential to do better somehow. I still want to do just one terrific painting..." And this was said by him in 1982, after a very long successful career. Just made me stop and think.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The de Kooning bio won the National Book Award for best bio.
It's probably the best bio I ever read of anyone. His story would be great no matter who told it but they did an extraordinary job.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home